Friday, September 9, 2011

September 11...then and now.

Ten years ago, we all remember where we were. Sitting in my College Station apartment preparing for class, I had turned on my little television to see what was going on just in time to see the news break in that the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. I wanted to stay and watch, but I knew I needed to get to campus and so I hurried out the door to my car and headed to class. It was when I pulled into my parking spot that I heard the news break in again, the second tower had been hit. Tears started coming down my cheeks and I realized that our country would NEVER be the same...we were under attack.

The day went on and I made my way to several classes (most of which were let out as quick as they started or even cancelled completely). However, I remember staying on campus with so many of my Aggie Family. We watched, we hugged, we shed tears. We knew that our world would never be the same. Days would pass by and huge efforts were made by the student body to help in any way possible. Red, White and Blue Out became a nationally broadcasted event at the A&M football game a little over a week later. It was amazing. The entire country seemed to be doing whatever they could to ease the pain of those around us.

And here we are....ten years later. I am married, I have a daughter and another baby on the way. My husband is on AGR orders with the Air National Guard doing his part to help this country maintain freedom and safety in whatever way he may be led to do so. Life has changed for me and so has the country we live in. Perhaps, we are safer today because of the lessons we learned on that terrible day, and we hope and pray that we never see another day like that fateful one ten years ago. We have moved on, but may we never forget. September 11 will always be remembered...

No comments:

Post a Comment